Guys, I finally found my communities!
I know I'm late here, but I've been feeling really conflicted about this class lately.
Even though I'm still technically sitting on my couch with my laptop, I've been feeling anxious about putting myself "out there" on the internet. I am a really private person, and I tend to feel like my thoughts are best kept to myself, lest people judge and/or misunderstand me. I realize that it is something I have to get over in order to succeed in this class, and throughout life.
To that end, I would like to share that I've had a hard time finding communities to delve into this week. I looked at the communities I'm involved in with Google+ and Twitter, and even though I don't LJ anymore, I looked through pages and pages of LiveJournal communities, and nothing seemed quite right.
Then, as if by magic (okay, more like algorithms), there was a suggestion on Facebook for a community that I am quite interested in being a member of.
For some, this is a contentious topic, but it is one that I feel strongly about, and am interested to hear others' voices on. That is, being childfree.
So, I've found my two communities (one Facebook, one LiveJournal), and I'm eager to find out what it's like to be a contributing member, rather than just a lurker. :)
How has it been finding your communities?
Congratulations on finding your communities. Awesome!
ReplyDeleteOn another note: I see your full name posted on this blog, and in the URL. You don't have to do that. You can use pseudonyms if that increases your comfort. Talk to me if you need advice on that or have any questions. It's good to learn how to commandeer the tools and develop a public voice, but I don't want anyone to do it in a way that makes them uncomfortable.
Thanks for the heads up, V.
ReplyDeleteI chose to put up my G+ profile here to encourage my blog reader (this class) to check out that platform. It didn't occur to me that that goes both ways (and that my G+ is visible to everyone in the world). Nevertheless, I haven't written about anything that I'm truly uncomfortable sharing. I will continue to explore privacy settings as well as how I want to manage my profiles (and probably blog about it :) )
As long as you're feeling comfortable and in control, it's all good! (If you were posting in a manner that I thought really shouldn't be attached to your name, I would be letting you know).
Delete