Everyone has heard of Google+, right? Google's version of a social network.
Essentially, if you have a Gmail account, you have a Google+ account ready and waiting to be used. For some reason, it hasn't picked up as quickly as some of the others, and some even say it's dying.
I've been exploring and utilizing and connecting all many of the networks and tools available to me, and I have to say, I like Google+ a lot, and I think it has a lot of potential.
I think that the interface is more about sharing news, info, & interests with others, compared to more narcissistic purposes of Facebook (not offense to Facebook users, I update mine pretty often).
Several of the infographics I've come across imply that Google+ is more for the scholarly-minded, and that there is high ratio of male users to female users.
I think Google+ is a good alternative to Facebook if you're the kind of person who often finds people's status updates annoying, and prefers to skims down the news feed for links to interesting articles.
Google+ is definitely going to be a staple of my Personal Learning Network from now on.
If you're interested, here's a whole Pinterest board of Google+ infographics.
What do you think of Google+?

Although I am very much appreciative of Google's services (they are great and free), I have found Google+ annoying most of the time, because it did not give me the option to start such a profile, and it seems like it is associated with my Google account, and if I delete it, my Google account will be affected as well. Due to time restrictions, it is not possible to be on different social media, but maybe I should give Google+ a chance while I am not on Facebook either.
ReplyDeleteI just couldn't get into using G+. Admittedly, I didn't try hard ... but I was there when it came out and there weren't many people on there and those who I found weren't doing much on there. I gave up after a week or so. Plus, the whole circle thing, it kind of creeped me out. For some reason I don't mind the idea that people get messages that I'm now following them on Twitter (me following their public info), but I was creeped by the idea of people getting messages that I put them in a group intended for specific kinds of sharing. I know we all filter in those ways, but having it up front like that and yet not up front (you don't know WHAT circle you're in, just that you're in one) felt weird.
ReplyDeleteBut convince me. Tell me have to gain from venturing over there.
The issue I have with Google+ is that it isn't really much different from existing social networking sites. I can find and connect with friends just like I can on Facebook and now Twitter. I can share interesting news/articles I find, pictures I take, and updates about my life. It seems exhausting to spend time setting up and maintaining a profile that already exists on another website somewhere else.
ReplyDelete